Tagged for a third time, by NightBeck.
1. Is there a show that you've watched most/all of and regret wasting your time on?
I don't know. I tend to drop things that that I feel are just wasting my time. One show I was determined to finish though was Azumanga Daioh. I'll get butchered for this probably, but I didn't like it. Sure, there were some funny bits, but it was just too slow and I felt like it was beating me over the head with a Tomo stick all the time.
2. What was your most surreal moment recently?
Watching the Doctor Who episode "Let's Kill Hitler" and seeing Amy and Rory's friend Mels regenerate into River Song, which was totally unexpected.
3. Car, bike, or public transportation?
I prefer to have the privacy of a car. Plus you can crank up the stereo as much as you want.
4. If you could have one skill, what would it be?
The on-the-fly resourcefulness of MacGyver.
5. What's your theme song?
Doctor Who Theme
6. In your opinion, what city has the best cuisine?
I've never traveled to many other cities, but from what I see on TV, I think I'd like to go to Philadelphia and have a cheesesteak.
7. What video game could you play over and over again?
I don't usually play video games, but when I did I could always play Mario Kart and not get bored.
8. You are given a robot that can be programmed to do one chore for you. Which would it be?
Do the dishes. I'm pretty bad when it comes to getting that chore done. That seems a waste of a good robot though.
9. What's your favorite way to spend $20?
10. What's your least favorite social networking site?
Facebook. I have an account but I've never really used it. I don't do enough to maintain something like that.
11. If you were a muffin, what kind of muffin would you be, and how would you escape if someone tried to eat you?
Banana-Nut. I'd hop on the next UPS truck driving by. Muffin Mail.
OK, I'm too lazy to specifically tag anyone this time. If I missed your name in the last two posts, or if you just want to answer more questions, feel free to use these:
1) If you can change one thing about any anime of your choice, what would it be?
2) When you read for fun, what literary genre do you prefer?
3) What two historical figures would you want to see go head-to-head in a cage match?
4) Who is your favorite comedian?
5) If you could go back and witness any moment in history, which would it be?
6) What's your favorite pizza topping combination?
7) Hollywood today is all about remakes. What movie would you remake?
8) What was your favorite childhood song?
9) What's your dream car?
10) What would you rather have: a Gundam, Super Saiyan powers, or a TARDIS?
11) Do you sing in the shower?
Tagged twice in one day. This time the questions come from Red.
1. What's your favorite superhero TEAM and why?
Team TARDIS (Eleven/Amy/Rory version). I suppose this is a cop-out as they aren't technically "superheroes" but I'm not really a fan of the comic book variety.
2. What's an album or song you listen to to relax after a particularly hard day?
I find listening to Queensryche's Tribe album very soothing.
3. Who's your favorite buddy-cop pair?
Michael Knight and KITT from Knight Rider.
4. Where's your favorite place to get breakfast?
I hardly eat breakfast, and I've gone out for breakfast even less, but we have a place near us called That Little Restaurant that has some really good food.
5. What's your favorite kind of ethnic take-out?
I've never had any kind of ethnic take-out other than Chinese.
6. If you were a broadcast network's programming line-up, which would you be and why? (i.e. NBC because of stupid reality shows, CBS because of crime dramas, etc.)
CBS, because it has NCIS and Criminal Minds, which are really good shows.
7. Chinese horoscope or Western horoscope?
I'm more familiar with Western, so I'll go with that.
8. What cartoon do you watch as a "guilty pleasure"?
My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic
9. What Hogwarts house would you be in?
Gryphondor. Gryfindor? However you spell it.
10. If you could play ANY sport professionally, what would it be?
Billiards. For real.
11.What's your favorite fantasy or Sci-Fi series (to read or watch)and why?
DOCTOR WHO! *This one is obvious* Because it's been going for nearly 50 years and is still brilliant, and encompasses almost every other genre within it. It can go anywhere and do anything, and the Doctor is my ultimate role model.
And now to tag people I didn't tag in the first meme response: Beth, Kei, SaxGirl, Blood Huntress, Carney, jomz, Alla, Lyndy, and RenaMonogatari. Here are your questions:
1) What's your favorite cheese?
2) Have you ever had a subscription to a magazine (or magazines)? Which?
3) What was your favorite place to go on vacation as a kid?
4) Was there ever a movie you watched that gave you nightmares?
5) A lifetime supply of pie or cake?
6) What one book would you recommend to your friends? Why?
7) What did you want to be when you were growing up?
8) Go out and party or stay in and relax?
9) What's your favorite band? Favorite album of theirs?
10) Which three famous historical figures do you most admire?
11) Cats or dogs?
I've been tagged by twilight samurai in her meme post, so here goes.
1. Which anime character is most similar to you? Why? (e.g. personality, interests, looks, etc.)
I'd have to say Konata from Lucky Star, simply for the fact that I can relate to her otakuness and warped sense of priorities.
2. How old are you?
3. Have you ever been to another country? Where would you like to go if you could?
I have not been to another country, but if I could I would love to visit the British Isles (England, Ireland, Scotland).
4. Would you stop eating meat for $1 million?
Never never never never. I'm too much of a carnivore.
5. What's your favorite song as of now?
Currently my favorite song is "Lock & Key" by Rush. I've been singing it in the shower a lot lately.
6. If your favorite anime character could take you out to dinner, who would it be and where would you go?
It would be Sei Sato from Maria-sama ga Miteru. She's a tomboy, so I guess we'd go out for burgers and drinks at a sports bar or something. Maybe a club.
7. What would it take to convince you to go sky diving with me?
The $1 million you would have given me for giving up meat.
8. I'm hungry. What would you fix me to eat? :D *is very hungry*
Soup and sandwich or tacos.
9. How did you come to be a member of TheOtaku? How long have you been here and what's your status (Senior, Legend, etc.)?
I found the site while looking for anime wallpapers, back when it was just an art site, and I became an active member sometime around 2006/2007. My rank is Otaku Eternal.
10. On a scale of 1-10, what do you think of these tags and memes?
I'd give it a 5. It's a fun way to kill some time, anyway.
11. What makes you so awesome??! 8D
Being a total Doctor Who geek.
* * * * *
And now for the people I shall tag: Raina, Katana, Gome, Trip, Blank, Missay, Ducky, and Nehsz. Here's your questions. Feel free to tag others if you'd like, using your own set of questions.
1) If you could self-insert into any anime, which would it be?
2) Books, TV, or Movies: which do you prefer?
3) If you were stranded on an island with a CD player and an endless supply of batteries, which five albums would you want to have with you?
4) Do you enjoy black & white films? What's your favorite?
5) What's your favorite Beatles song?
6) If you could attempt any extreme sport, which would it be?
7) What was the worst book you ever read? What did you hate about it?
8) If you could have breakfast every day, what would be your ideal meal?
9) Could you survive the rest of your life without computers and the internet?
10) What's your favorite anime of the last decade?
11) What would you do first if you could be President of the Entire World?
The last time I was at the dentist was a year ago, mainly thanks to all my recurrent lung problems. So I finally got an appointment for today, and it wasn't all pleasant. They had to update everything, so that meant new X-rays. I have a small mouth, and those films they use are pretty big, so there was much pain and gagging. To top it off, I have a chipped tooth, and in the chip I've got some decay, so I'm going back Monday to get that filled in. Amazingly, despite that and my constant grinding problems, I have excellently clean teeth. Go figure. :V
Of course, any sort of prolonged medical suffering is a good excuse for bookstore therapy, so I came out with a couple of good ones this time.
The Silver Skull (Swords of Albion #1) by Mark Chadbourne
A devilish plot to assassinate the Queen, a cold war enemy hell-bent on destroying the nation, incredible gadgets, a race against time to stop the ultimate doomsday device... and Elizabethan England's greatest spy!
Meet Will Swyfte - adventurer, swordsman, rake, swashbuckler, wit, scholar, and the greatest of Walsingham's band of spies. His exploits against the forces of Philip of Spain have made him a national hero, lauded from Carlisle to Kent. Yet his associates can barely disguise their incredulity - what is the point of a spy whose face and name is known across Europe?
But Swyfte's public image is a carefully crafted facade to give the people of England something to believe in, and to allow them to sleep peacefully at night. It deflects attention from his real work - and the true reason why Walsingham's spy network was established.
A cold war seethes, and England remains under a state of threat. The forces of Faerie have preyed on humanity for millennia. Responsible for our myths and legends, of gods and fairies, dragons, griffins, devils, imps, and every other supernatural menace that has haunted our dreams, this power in the darkness has seen humans as playthings to be tormented, hunted, or eradicated.
But now England is fighting back!
Magical defenses have been put in place by the queen's sorcerer, Dr. John Dee, who is also a senior member of Walsingham's secret service and provides many of the bizarre gadgets utilized by the spies. Finally, there is a balance of power. But the cold war is threatening to turn hot at any moment...
Will now plays a constant game of deceit and death, holding back the Enemy's repeated incursions, dealing in a shadowy world of plots and counterplots, deceptions, secrets, murder - where no one... and no thing... is quite what it seems.
Miserere - An Autumn Tale by Teresa Frohock
Exiled exorcist Lucian Negru deserted his lover in Hell in exchange for saving his sister Catarina's soul, but Catarina doesn't want salvation. She wants Lucian to help her fulfill her dark covenant with the Fallen Angels by using his power to open the Hell Gates. Catarina intends to lead the Fallen's hordes out of Hell and into the parallel dimension of Woerld, Heaven's front-line of defense between Earth and Hell.
When Lucian refuses to help his sister, she imprisons and cripples him, but Lucian learns that Rachael, the lover he betrayed and abandoned in Hell, is dying from a demonic possession. Determined to rescue Rachael from the demon he unleashed on her soul, Lucian flees his sister, but Catarina's wrath isn't so easy to escape.
In the end, she will force him once more to choose between losing Rachael or opening the Hell Gates so the Fallen's hordes may overrun Earth, their last obstacle before reaching Heaven's Gates.
So yeah, some pretty interesting stuff. I'll probably take time out between every couple of Wheel of Time books to read these and other things, to keep things fresh and not grind my 75 books challenge to a snail's pace.
And finally, Pond's latest trick is climbing the screen on grandma's porch and back patio. Behold the cat-fly:
Ducky's recent post on why she would probably never get an e-reader got me thinking. Having the Kindle is fun, of course, and I've read some good stuff with it, and will continue to do so. But of course, I do still love books, and I've been feeling the withdrawal of not handling one in a while. And since I already have several fantasy series completely or partly in paperback, there's no real point to buying them again on Kindle. So in that case at least for now, I will still read honest to goodness books.
Plus there's a bit of an ego trip you get from walking around carrying this huge book and going "Yeah... This is what I read. No wimpy thin books for me." :V